Bernard “Bernie” D. Currie, SHRM-CP, PHR
After recently reviewing BLS data released in mid-March of this year, I was amazed at the level of detail regarding veteran unemployment and just had to share it with you as we move into the month of June.
- Veteran population: Approximately 21 million
- Jobless rate for male veterans – 5.2%
- Jobless rate for female veterans – 6.0%
- 573,000 veterans unemployed in 2014
- 59% over the age of 45
- 37% between the age of 25-444% between the age of 18-24
This Initiative, sponsored by HR Tampa’s Workforce Committee, is poised to make a SIGNIFICANT IMPACT on these statistics, however, without you, it would be impossible.
Here are a couple of events to look forward to in June and we’d love to see you participate each of them if at all possible.
1. “Transitioning to the Civilian Workforce: Mission Possible” presentation by Major General Simeon Trombitas at the Armed Forces Museum in Largo, FL next Wednesday (6/3/15 @ 7:30am). *
2. Veteran Initiative monthly meeting held on Thursday (6/4/15 @ 6:00pm) at the Bayport Plaza (next to Grand Hyatt-Causeway) where we will be exploring future events to participate in as an entity. Bring your ideas and appetites as light refreshments will be served.
3. “Advocacy: Shaping HR Public Policy” presentation by Meredith Nethercutt, Partner and Senior Associate for member advocacy at the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) during HR Tampa’s monthly meeting held at the Centre Club on Wednesday (6/17 @ 5:30pm). *
* For more information and registration to this event, please refer to the HR Tampa website (www.hrtampa.org).