HR Tampa Certification/Education: Enhancing YOUR Professional Brand
Patricia A. Sullivan, PhD, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
2018 April Certification Programs:
SHRM-SCP/CP Crash Course (Apr 28) – Looking for a good introduction into the SHRM Competency model? Sitting for the SCP/CP certification exam? This one day, fast paced, chock full of information intense course is available for those wanting to enhance competencies and for those who want to reinforce what was learned in preparation for the exam. Continental breakfast/snacks served. Register now, www.hrtampa.org
(April 28, 8am to 1:30pm; South University, 4401 N. Himes Avenue, Tampa FL)
2018 May – HR for Supervisors, Managers and New HR Professionals:
SHRM Essentials (May 1 to May 29) – For the newer HR professional, for college students seeking an understanding of HR principles, and for all supervisors and managers who could benefit from understanding and applying HR practices (hiring, interviewing, training and development, employment law, and more). Offer this program to leaders who are expected to engage, inspire and motivate, and who understand the importance of their role in these outcomes. This five-week program will meet one evening a week (2.5 hours/night). Attendees who successfully complete this program will receive a SHRM HR Essentials certification. Register now, www.hrtampa.org
HR Essentials, May 1 to May 26, Tuesdays, 6pm to 8:30pm; South Univ., 4401 N. Himes Avenue, Tampa
$385 for HR Tampa Members (cost of materials), $585 for non-HR Tampa Members
2018 Summer Certification/Roundtable Programs:
HR Strategy Roundtable – Meeting each quarter, roundtable participants will share and learn best practices through peer discussions, while being introduced to research relating to exceptional HR practices, competencies, and strategies. Limited seats available; meeting one evening/quarter. This program is recommended for experienced practitioners who strive to enhance business acumen with organizational development, human behavior, and culture design strategies.
Dates to be announced. For more information, contact Dr. Patricia Sullivan (email@example.com, 215.421.4242). $300/year; dinner served (currently seeking SHRM and HRCI pre-approved credits)
HR Coaching for Excellence (Summer/Fall; May start) – This six-month program brings coaching skills to supervisors and HR professionals. Meeting one Saturday morning every month, participants will learn coaching skills and will then apply these talents over the month with the goal of enhancing employee relations, productivity, self-awareness, and business results while building trust through relationship development. This program is designed for any professional who is seeking to understand human motivation and enhance interpersonal, intrapersonal, team and organizational relationships. Mark your calendars now; look for more information over the next month. Call Dr. Patricia Sullivan for more information – 215.421.4242, or write – firstname.lastname@example.org.
HR Coaching, 8:30am to 12:30pm on June 23; July 28; August 18, September 22, October 27, November 16
South University, 4401 N. Himes Avenue, Tampa FL 33614
PHR/SPHR Prep Course (Fall; September start) - Using the All in One PHR/SPHR HR Certification Exam Guide, this 10-week certification prep course will be offered in the evenings, as well as one Saturday Crash Course offered at the end to recap the materials. This program is perfect for the experienced HR professional who wants to earn PHR/SPHR certification, and for those seeking a deeper understand of the knowledge needed to excel in HR roles.
SPHR/PHR Prep Course, September 25 to November 27 – 6pm to 9:30pm; Crash Course Saturday, December 1, 8am to 1:30pm
South University, 4401 N. Himes Avenue, Tampa FL 33614
More information to follow
KEEP YOUR CERTIFICATION CURRENT - 2018 SHRM-SCP/CP Recertification DEADLINES
If you are one of the many professionals who took advantage of the SHRM-SCP/CP certification survey – which gave you these credits based on your SPHR/PHR certification status, this is the year to recertify. The month to certify is the month of your birthday.
To continue your SHRM-SCP/CP certification, please log into your SHRM account soon and begin the process of posting credit hours, and learning about the process.
There is an increasing number of audits taking place with the HR professional certifications. PLEASE remember to store your verification credits in a safe place. Keep them for a year after the recertification process (e.g. if you recertify May 2018, keep your records until May 2019 or later).
WORKFORCE READINESS UPDATE (Spring 2018)
1. HR Tampa Launches #HRCONNECT – As a result of our membership survey, we are pleased to announce the first networking social to be held at Argosy University (Hwy 275 & Howard Avenue) in Tampa on Thursday, 3/22/18 from 5pm-7pm. Food, beer and wine will be provided for this informal event and we hope you can join us. If you are seeking an HR job or are an employer or recruiting firm that has available HR jobs, WE WANT TO SEE YOU THERE!!
2. HR Tampa May Chapter Meeting to Host the Honorable Judge Gregory Holder – As a continuation of our commitment to the U.S. Military, we’re excited to present to you this amazing presentation on “How to become a veteran-friendly workplace” which promises to be captivating, informational and challenging to all in attendance. For more details about Judge Holder, contact him via https://www.linkedin.com/in/judge-gregory-holder-38788b125/ at your earliest convenience. Register early for this one-time event!
3. HR Prodigy Needs Volunteers – Are you interested in introducing the HR profession to high-school students, the underserved or the disabled? HR Tampa is looking for passionate and professional volunteers for this critical, and life-changing area poised to mold the next generation. Let the change in others begin with a change in YOU!
4. HR Tampa Joins Representative Kathy Castor / Puerto Rico Task Force – As we are aware, hurricane activity devastated many parts of the south, and there are still segments of Puerto Rico that remain without power. HR Tampa has been contacted by Representative Kathy Castor’s office to assist with displaced citizens seeking employment in the Tampa area and WE ARE GLAD TO HELP!
5. HR Tampa & ESGR join the Marines – On 3/2/18, HR Tampa continued its partnership with the Employer Support of the Guard and the Reserves by joining the military for Marine Day on Gandy Boulevard. HR Tampa was fortunate to conduct an employer panel addressing key transition points with a favorable response. Many thanks to Melissa Robinson, our Past-President of HR Tampa, for her leadership in this event and to Colleen Trout from ESGR for making this event possible.
For details regarding these or other Workforce Readiness activities, contact Bernie Currie via phone (813.624.9681) if you would like to become more involved.
Katelyn Kasper, President HR Tampa Student Chapter #5568
In our careers, we should always take steps to learn more about our profession. Luckily, I was able to attend a conference that taught me many valuable lessons in HR and ideas for our HR Tampa Student Chapter.
On Saturday, March 3rd, 2018, I attended a SHRM Student Chapter Conference. This conference was hosted by Rollins College, their SHRM Student Chapter, and GOSHRM. Rollins College is located in Winter Park, FL near Orlando. They have a beautiful campus with historic buildings. The event was held from 8:30am until 4pm and was wonderfully organized and educational.
The event started with registration and an overview of the events for the day. The educational sessions included: emotional intelligence, the future of HR and OD, owning your HR career, establishing trust, learning to play, turning a “no” into a “yes,” and dealing with bad bosses.
At the end of the conference there was a raffle for giveaways. I won a trip to the Annual HR Florida Conference and Expo in August. This trip is valued at over $300 and was the grand prize. I was exstatic to win and am looking very forward to attending the conference!
From this experience, I was able to learn about how to develop my career in HR. There are many wonderful people employed in HR that want to offer their advice and assistance.
Our HR Tampa College Relations Committee has discussed plans to host a similar event in September which would increase student interest in our chapter. We have many exciting plans for the year. I am elated to have such a great team of professionals to work alongside me and am looking forward to many educational events and activities for the chapter.
SHRM FOUNDATION NEWS
Join SHRM or renew today with our help
Take advantage of all of the benefits a SHRM membership has to offer. Professional members have access to all of SHRM’s legislative and compliance info, sample job descriptions, forms, policies and interview questions, legal and compliance resources, weekly webcasts and a vast network of passionate HR professionals. Join or renew as a friend of the SHRM Foundation at membership.shrm.org with promo code FOUNDFRIEND and save $20. Remember to designate HR Tampa as your home Chapter #0074.
SHRM Certification and Recertification Scholarships
The SHRM Foundation will award 220 scholarships in 2018, with 110 awarded this spring to individuals seeking a SHRM certification. Ten of these scholarships are reserved for SHRM members who have advanced veteran hiring in a professional or volunteer capacity. Deadline: April 10, 2018
New in 2018 – Forty scholarships will support individuals who are recertifying their SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP, with 20 awarded this spring. Deadline: April 10, 2018
Do you have a desire to get involved with HR Tampa? HR Tampa's membership has grown so much that we are finding we need additional help on some of our committees in order to meet our goals this year. If you are interested in participating on a committee with HR Tampa, then we want you. We have great opportunities to participate in Social Media, HR Tampa Conference & Expo, Workforce Readiness, and College Relations, just to name a few.
Get Involved......you will not regret it!! If interested please send an email with your name and contact information to email@example.com.
“Have you or another HR Tampa member done something bragworthy within the Diversity & Inclusion space? If so, let us know!
As a Chapter, we are asking our members to share successful programs, initiatives and general best practices related to D&I to our members. We also want to deservingly highlight the professionals who are moving this much needed focus forward in our community.
Together, we can work together to share our successes (and failures) to assist other professionals in Tampa elevate and understand that every bit of effort in this area counts. Please share this information with us at Diversity@HRTampa.org and include your name, company, and a description of the program, initiative or best practice.”
The Tampa Bay area’s premier SHRM chapter, HR Tampa, provides opportunities to be involved and take advantage of many services/programs including: Regular monthly breakfast and dinner meetings featuring expert speakers on current pertinent human resource topics (most meetings qualify for HRCI credits).
- Keep current with HR developments, trends, position website.
- Networking with over 600 local HR Tampa members – Excellent platform for members in transition!!!
- Monthly electronic newsletter featuring legislative updates, local HR news and events.
- Association with professional HR industry focused vendors.
- Assistance in HR internship programs and finding candidates.
- Professional mentor programs for college students.
- Advertising opportunities - advertise open HR positions on our Job Board for FREE or at a discounted rate (Please see web page for non-members cost).
- Volunteer opportunities in the community in your profession.
- Special Events, Conferences, and Expos to earn continuing education credits.
We are excited about our 2018 event calendar and we have sponsorship opportunities available. If you know of anyone who might be interested in sponsoring a monthly meeting, networking event, participating in our Conference & Expo or advertising on our website or in this newsletter, please contact our Sponsorship Chair, Debby Erdahl, SHRM-CP, PHR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STAY CONNECTED WITH HR TAMPA - UPCOMING EVENTS
Breakfast Meeting 2018 -- The Future of HR: Promoting Business Success in a Changing Global Workplace
Center Club 8:00am - 9:30am
Dinner Meeting 2018 -- Using National Benchmarking Data Analytics to Become a Destination Employer
Center Club 6:00pm - 7:30pm
2/20/2018 - 4/30/2018
SHRM-SCP/CP Prep Course
South University, Tampa, FL
6:00pm - 9:30pm
HR Tampa Volunteer Day at Metropolitan Ministries, Tampa, FL
11:00am - 2:00pm
New Member Game Night, Ogletree Deakins, Tampa, FL
6:00pm - 9:00pm
SHRM-SCP/CP Crash Course, South University, Tampa, FL
8:00am - 1:30pm
5/1/2018 - 5/26/2018
SHRM Essentials, South University, Tampa, FL, Tuesdays
6:00pm - 9:00pm
HR Tampa Conference & Expo
USF Marshall Student Center, Tampa, FL -- Registration Open!
7:00am - 5:00pm
HR TAMPA MEMBERS IN TRANSITION
HR Tampa is dedicated to help members get the most out of their membership. Here are some ways to jump start your next opportunity:
- Check out our job boards for the latest HR jobs available in this market
- Bring your resume and personal business cards to the monthly chapter meetings and NETWORK
- LinkedIn with other HR Tampa members
If you are in transition and haven’t renewed your membership with HR Tampa due to financial restrictions, HR Tampa provides prior-year active members who are unemployed at the time of the membership renewal, a one-time opportunity to rejoin as a Basic member for up to one year!
For complete details, click HERE